The Shire of Buloke is located in the Wimmera region of north-western Victoria by the Richardson River, 10km south of Lake Buloke. The Shire was created in 1995 as a result of the amalgamation of a number of smaller regional shires.
The area is thought to have been occupied by the Wemba-Wemba Aborigines.
Thomas Mitchell and his surveying party were the first Europeans known to have entered the area.
The township was established when Johann Meyer, a German migrant to the goldfields, set up a shanty and began to sell alcohol in 1863 at ‘The Bridge’ or ‘Richardson Bridge’.
Meyer later went on to build two hotels and selected land for wheat cultivation.
In 1866 the new town was surveyed and re-named Donald.